WordPress Thesis Theme is shipped in English language only, but it provides also the strings to translate in a file in PO (GNU Gettext Portable Object) format.
The file is
thesis.po and is located in the directory
wp-content/themes/thesis of your WordPress installation. The file
thesis.mo that you’ll find in the same directory is the same file but in the machine readable format.
To translate the Thesis’s strings in your own language follow these simple steps :
- set your preferred language in the file
wp-config.php: for Italian, for example,
define ('WPLANG', 'it_IT');
See these instructions WordPress in Your Language for a complete guide.
- rename the
thesis.pofile using your language code (ex for Italian language in will be :
- open the file with the text editor of your choice and translate the strings filling the
- using the command-line utility
msgfmtto create the machine readable file :
msgfmt -o it_IT.mo it_IT.po
- copy the files
- In thesis 1.8 or later copy the files
- There may be missing strings, so add them to the .po file with Dreamweaver or notepad and generate the .mo file with poedit.